For years, I vowed I would never make a resolution. I guess I’m not alone, based on this statistic from statistics.com (see last resolution):
We get to the end of the year though, and wether or not you formally make any resolution, you might think, “Well, If I had to make a resolution it would be ________”.
My favorite new question to ask my clients is, “What would you tell your 20-, 30-, 40-, 50-, 60- or 70- year old self?”
The responses are fascinating. If you were to answer that question, would it impact your 2019 New Year Resolution?
Here are the 20 most popular New Year Resolutions:
- Get In Shape
- Lose Weight
- Eat Healthy
- Cook More
- Drink Less
- Exercise More
- Get More Sleep
- Reduce Stress
- Balance Work/Family/Social Life Better
- Spend More Time With Family
- Enjoy Life More
- Plan A Vacation/Travel More (For Fun, Not Work)
- Learn A New Skill
- Spend Less, Save More
- Get Organized
- Break Smartphone Addiction
- Stop Smoking
- Read More
We are screaming to take care of ourselves. Is anyone listening?
What would you tell your 20-, 30-, 40-, 50-, 60- or 70- year old self? Do you think you would listen?
Resolutions don’t work because each resolution impacts 1-3 or more other aspects in your life. Example:
- You start a workout program, so now you wake up at 5am. There goes your sleep.
- You don’t exercise – one day – to get more sleep, feel guilty that you didn’t exercise that morning, and throw in the towel at 3pm, when someone brings in cake to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. There goes your eating clean resolution. For some, if it happens a few more times, that’s it – they throw in the towel completely.
- You plan a vacation, spend more time with the family, and are totally relaxed – only to come home to chaos, bills, laundry, and work issues that are waiting. So much for staying organized.
- After coming home on that 1st day back at work, you want a cigarette, a drink, maybe both. Maybe you are so tired you just want to veg out looking at FB or IG. This could go on for a week, or 2, or more – so much for those resolutions!
- By the time you get to bed, you don’t want to read, learn any new skill – like a new language – heck, you can just forget flossing!
I help people reach their goals, wether it’s weight loss, health, exercise, sleep, managing family and career, eating out, cooking at home, planning, organizing, and time management. How? I help people find solutions that work for them. You already know what works, you just have to hear it out loud, and be truthful in what you can commit to.
Here’s to a Happy and Healthy 2019!
What is your 2019 New Year Resolution?